Are you looking for something cute and sweet to bring character to your Thanksgiving table? Are you looking for something more unique than the same old turkeys and pilgrims? Look no further! When your guests see these adorable scarecrow Thanksgiving cake pops they’re likely to stop and pinch their rosy cheeks before taking a tasty bite!
Ingredients and Supplies
To make scarecrow Thanksgiving cake pops, you will need:
– Basic cake pops in any flavor
– Orange candy coated mini chocolate chips
– Yellow flower sprinkles
– Pink petal dust
– Black gel food coloring
– A small food safe paint brush
– Cotton swabs
– A cake pop stand
How To Make Hats for Scarecrow Cake Pops
1. Prepare by scraping the cream out of the center of your Oreos, unwrapping your Reese’s peanut butter cups, and selecting the yellow flower sprinkles you want to use.
2. Melt your brown and orange candy melts by microwaving them separately in bowls on low power for 30-seconds at a time. Stop and stir after each 30-second interval then repeat until the coating is completely melted.
3. For each hat, use a touch of melted coating to glue an upside down Reese’s cup to an Oreo cookie.
4. Use a spoon to drizzle brown coating down the sides of each Reese’s cup and spread the coating onto the top of each Oreo cookie. Set your scarecrow hats on wax paper and allow the coating to harden before continuing.
5. Holding each hat by the Reese’s cup, dip it into the brown coating to cover the bottom of the Oreo cookie. Set it upside down on wax paper and allow the coating to harden before continuing.
6. Holding each hat by the Oreo cookie, dip it into the brown coating to cover the top of the hat. Set it on wax paper and allow the coating to harden before continuing.
7. Use a toothpick to paint a stripe of orange coating around the hat.
8. While the orange coating is still wet, add a yellow flower sprinkle to the front of your scarecrow hat. Set your completed hats aside to use for assembly in a later step.
Make Basic Cake Pops
These scarecrow Thanksgiving cake pops start with basic round cake pops. You may want to flatten the tops of your cake pops to create a flat surface for your scarecrow hats to sit on.
Helpful Hint: Work with just a handful of cake balls at a time. Rotating them in and out of the fridge ensures that you are always working with perfectly chilled cake balls. This is where it comes in handy to have a few petite cake pop stands to rotate around!
It is best to make your cake pops using light-colored cake. If your cake is a dark color, it may show through the beige candy coating. For a recipe and step-by-step directions for making cheesecake-flavored cake pops that will work perfectly, check out How To Make Cake Pops With Unique Flavors.
How To Make Scarecrow Thanksgiving Pops
1. Start by microwaving your beige candy melts in a bowl on low power for 30-seconds at a time. Stop and stir after each 30-second interval then repeat until the coating is completely melted.
2. Dip a cake pop straight down into the beige coating until the cake ball is completely covered and sealed. Then, turn the cake pop at an angle and gently tap off any excess coating.
Helpful Hint: A tall narrow bowl works best for dipping cake pops. Keeping the coating warm throughout the entire dipping process is key to having a smooth coating on your cake pops. To avoid having to repeatedly reheat your coating, a chocolate melting pot is a great tool.
3. While the coating is still wet, apply an orange candy coated mini chocolate chip to the center of your cake pop for the scarecrow’s nose.
Troubleshooting: If your chocolate chips are falling off of your cake pop, your candy coating is probably too thin. Try to wait a little longer before attaching these pieces. Your candy coating needs to be starting to thicken but still wet. The ideal time is right before the coating hardens. As an alternative, you can wait until the candy coating has completely hardened. Then, use a toothpick to place a touch of wet candy coating onto your chocolate chips and attach them to your cake pops.
4. Set the cake pop upright in a cake pop stand to cool until the coating is completely hardened.
5. Use a cotton swab and pink petal dust to paint rosy cheeks onto your scarecrow cake pop.
6. Use a food safe paint brush and black gel food coloring to paint a mouth and eyes onto your scarecrow cake pop.
7. Put your yellow candy wafers in a decorating bag or sandwich bag and melt them in the microwave, massaging the bag at 30-second intervals. Cut the tip off of the bag and draw hair onto your scarecrow cake pop.
8. While the yellow candy coating is still wet, apply the hat to the top of the cake pop.
9. Set the cake pop upright in a cake pop stand to cool until the coating is completely hardened.