The Marbling Technique and Butterfly Cookies

Butterfly Cookies

Today I have the pleasure of guest posting for Dawn at  DJ’s Sugar Shack! Dawn’s blog is a great resource for sweet inspiration, especially every Wednesday when she hosts the Whatcha’ Whipped Up link party. Lots of talented bloggers link up here to share their sweet and savory treats. I have to confess that I’m somewhat cookie obsessed. So, my favorite of Dawn’s creations are her super cute Sombrero Cookies. And with Halloween coming up, you gotta check out her Sugar Skull Cupcakes.

Today I will be sharing a step-by-step tutorial for making simple and stunning butterfly cookies using an icing marbling technique. It’s easy to do and is useful in a variety of designs. I’ve used it myself on heart cookies, sock cookies, and now butterfly cookies. If you’ve ever wondered how to create a marbling effect with icing, today’s the day for you to learn!

Once you are comfortable with the marbling technique, the possibilities for cookie decorating are endless! For inspiring ideas to help you think outside the box, check out Sweetopia’s lemon cookies (1), Julia Usher’s fiesta dress skirt cookies (2), and Bake at 350’s spider web cookies (3).

Icing Marbling TechniqueI will also be sharing my favorite sugar cookie recipe and royal icing recipe with Dawn’s readers today. So, be sure to stop by if you are looking for a recipe for sugar cookies that tastes good but won’t break when shipped or if you want to know how to make royal icing that won’t dry rock hard.

Butterfly Cookies - sugarkissed.net

Soooo…. what are you still doing here? Head on over to DJ’s Sugar Shack and please be sure to drop me a line to let me know what you think of the marbling technique I used on my butterfly cookies. Let your creative juices flow! I would love to hear how you plan to use the marbling technique on your next set of decorated cookies!

Subscribe to the sugarkissed.net newsletter today!
Get tutorials, recipes, and tips delivered directly to your in-box.

About Janine

Creative sweets made simple. Learn how to easily make decorated treats through recipes and tutorials at sugarkissed.net. Are you ready for sweet inspiration?
Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to The Marbling Technique and Butterfly Cookies

1. Pamela says:

Love these cookies! Heading over to Dawn’s!
    Pamela recently posted..Buttermilk Powdered Donuts (Whole Wheat)My Profile

2. Those butterfly cookies are GORGEOUS! It’s amazing how you’re able to do that :)
    Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..S’mores Stuffed Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

3. Printabelle says:

Printabelle recently posted..Wonderful Wednesdays Link Party #17My Profile

4. Wow! Love this technique, going over to Dawn’s to learn more, thanks for linking up!
    CuteEverything recently posted..Wonderful Wednesdays Link Party #17My Profile

5. Megan says:

Those are actually the most beautiful cookies I’ve ever seen. Wow they are so colorful…maybe too pretty to eat. I’d frame them…well that’s I lie I would end up eating them. I’m sure they taste as delicious as they look. Megan
    Megan recently posted..Reupholstered Stool by Amy & ChrisMy Profile

6. Nicole says:

Wow! Those turned out great! I’ll certainly have to try them, my daughter loves butterflies.
    Nicole recently posted..Back to School Sales for ToddlersMy Profile

7. Robyn's View says:

Gorgeous!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday! i will be sharing this on my facebook page!

~Robyn
    Robyn’s View recently posted..Foodie Friends Friday #10 Sponsored by Robyn’s ViewMy Profile

8. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday! I will definitely take notes!
    Cindy
    Cindy’s Recipes recently posted..Chocolate Pineapple Upside-down Cake guest post at Go Bake Yourself!My Profile

9. Thanks Janine for sharing your great cookie decorating tips! I will try your Royal icing recipe!
    Cindy
    Cindy’s Recipes recently posted..Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party 10!My Profile

10. BEAUTIFUL! You are so talented! Visiting from SITS.
    jamie@[kreyv] recently posted..[kreyv of the day]My Profile

11. Winnie says:

These are all amazingly beautiful cookies.
    I’m heading over to check your technique
    Winnie recently posted..עוגת דבש יפניתMy Profile

12. ilene says:

Those butterflies are so beautiful! I admire anyone who can take baking and turn it into artistry!

13. misssrobin says:

You cookies are fabulous! Heading over to see how you do it.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a fabulous weekend.
    misssrobin recently posted..My Collapse-in-the-Shower MomentMy Profile

14. Those butterflies are beautiful! Nice work as always!!!
    Addicted to Recipes recently posted..Scrumptious Sunday #26 – FeaturesMy Profile

15. karen says:

WOW, you are so talented, I can barely get my cookies to be baked all the same, let alone frosting them. Great job.
    karen recently posted..Tried it and Liked itMy Profile